Better Edge was founded by Bill Shaffer in 1998. Bill has a long and experienced history in this aspect of cutting tool services. His 30+ years' experience includes his involvement with the development of Kennametal's solid round cutting tool manufacturing facility Chestnut Ridge, PA, which provided original production and regrinding services for their factories and hole making customers. Bill brought his technical knowledge when he started Better Edge and the quality is truly second to none.
Better Edge's offers a comprehensive drilling product line designed to meet the unique requirements of each specific material group. All of their drills are offered with or without coolant through capability ranging from 3.00mm-20.00mm diameters or 0.118" - 0.750" and manufactured in both Metric and Imperial sizes up to 7X Diameters.
- Steel Series - These 140 degree "Bat Wing" point, 2 Flute helix drills have polished flutes for increased chip evacuation, gash optimization for lower thrust, coolant channels for optimum flow and a patented point geometry that includes a radius edge for superior edge strength and centering capabilities.
- Stainless Steel Series - These 135 degree "Bat Wing" point, 2 flute Series drills are ideally suited for Austentic Stainless Steel with a Tensile Strength RM (MPa): <650 Hardenss (HB) or HRC: 130 - 200, High Strength Austentic Stainless & Cast Stainless Content C =.05%-.15% Tensile Strength RM (Mpa):500-700 Hardness (HB) or HRC:150-230 and Duplex Steel Content C = .05-.2% Tensile Strength RM (Mpa) < 900 Hardness (HP) or HRC: 135-275
- Cast Iron Series - These 140 degree point, 2 and 3 flute standard and high helix tools perfect for short chipping materials.
- Non-Ferrous Alloy Series - These 130 degree point, 3 flute high helix tools are perfect for drilling extruded, wrought and cast aluminum, brass bronze, & copper
- Alloy Materials Series - These 135 degree, 2 and 3 flute series tools are designed for High Temp Materials such as Iron Based, Nickel Based and Cobalt based, Heat Resistant Alloys as well as Titanium.
- TT Series - The Tight Tolerance, 2 Straight Flute ideally suited for Cast and Low Strength Irons, wrought and cast aluminum, copper alloys and titanium.
- General Purpose Series - These 140 degree, 2 flute standard helix drills are ideal for use in all job shops that encounter different materials all the time. These drills work well in Low Carbon , Long Chipping, Free Machining and Short Chipping Steels, Austenitic (non-magnetic) Stainless Steel, Cast Stainless, Duplex Steel, Gray, Malleable, Nodular Cast and Low-Strength Ductile Irons, Low and Medium Strength CGI and Ductile Irons, Cast and Wrought Aluminum Alloys, Copper and Copper Alloys, Iron-Based, Heat-Resistant Alloys, Nickel-Based or Cobalt-Based, Heat-Resistant Alloys, Titanium Alloys.
Most regrinding houses use independent toll coaters, who use generic recipes for particular coatings, regardless of the type of tool or part that is in their chamber.
At Better Edge, their coatings are optimized for drills and end mills.
Better Edge makes custom drills, step tools and end mills.
- Drills: Step Drills with 1 an 2 steps, coated with you preferred surface treatment guaranteed 1 week delivery.
- End Mills: Straight stock windmills modified with a custom radius, ball, necked down are guaranteed 3 day delivery
Last edit date: 6 December 2022: btm